Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Social Networks

Mickey Avalon - Jane Fonda



The first time I heard Mickey Avalon was on an episode of Entourage. Except I wasn't really paying attention, so I guess that doesn't count. The first time I listened to this guy in earnest was last weekend. I will admit that his music is catchy with its throwback production and rhyming style. Some of the drawbacks are that he's not overly concerned with being smart per se, and he is obsessed with drugs and sex.

That last point may explain a lot of his appeal.

Avalon has a pretty interesting background. You should be able to find out a lot about this guy on the Web, but I'll give you a few highlights. Drug addict and dealer, grandson of Holocaust survivors, male prostitute, witness to his father's death.

"Jane Fonda" - probably his most popular song - was featured on an episode of Entourage, as I mentioned above. Since that airing, he gained a lot of traction and reissued his self-titled album on MySpace Records. In fact, that album was the first to be released by MySpace Records.

If you get a chance, listen to "So Rich, So Pretty." For some reason, the girl on that song reminds me of Darryl Hannah's character from Wall Street.

Another song from the aforementioned record is featured in the recently released Harold and Kumar sequel.

So is your face.

===

UPDATE: Forgot to give a shout out to Joe, my brother from another mother, for his recommendation.

So is your face.

1 comment:

JPASSANA said...

its about damn time...no shout out to your brother-from-another-mother?