Monday, October 20, 2008

Canadian Reflection

Chromeo - Momma's Boy



Originally from Canada. Collaboration between P-Thugg (Patrick Gemayel / Arab) and Dave 1 (David Macklovitch / Jew). Impressive.

Draws from 80s influences - synthesizers, keyboards, "Take on Me"-type animation, etc.

I had this conversation with a couple of my friends the other day when this video was on.

Friend 1: Oh I really like this song.
Me: Yeah, it's by this band called... uh... CHROMEO!
Friend 2: What? Chromeo?
Me: Yeah, the guy with the beard who's singing - that's DJ A-Track's brother?
Friend 1: Who?
Me: Yeah, A-Trak. Kinda famous DJ. He made this really popular remix of Stronger last year.
Friend 2: What?
Me: DJ A-Trak. He's made some other stuff, too. I put a post on the blog about him a while ago.
Friend 2: [Obvious disdain] Right... your blog.
Friend 1: [Faking recognition] Right, right, right .
Me: You guys suck.

Pretty much the conversation I had (except without the hyperlinks).

Also, during this conversation, we came to the realization that Chromeo is the Canadian version of Gnarls Barkley. A collaboration between a tall, white guy and a shorter, rounder man of color. (See pictures here: Chromeo / Gnarls Barkley / Chromeo / Gnarls Barkley.) The only difference is that the front man and producer roles are switched. Insightful? I think so. Useful? I think not.

No comments: