Thursday, August 7, 2008

Jocking

1) Los Angeles-based rapper DeLon has reignited interest in M.I.A.'s affiliations to the Tamil Tigers or LTTE. Also of Sri Lankan descent, DeLon lays heavy allegations on M.I.A. in his remix to "Paper Planes."



He claims M.I.A. is pro-terrorist because her music, videos, and album artwork celebrate violence and contain LTTE imagery (namely tigers). M.I.A. responded:


"I don't support terrorism and never have," she wrote in a statement. "As a Sri Lankan that fled war and bombings, my music is the voice of the civilian refugee. Frankly, I am not trying to start dialogue with someone who is really just seeking self-promotion."

She has rich, complicated roots to the region and to the liberation movement and I don't think her affiliations will ever be very clear cut. I do feel she does her best to negotiate her contradictory ties through her music.

2) Kanye introduced "Jocking Jay-Z" at last night's MSG show... a preview of Jay-Z's Blueprint 3.


No comments: